Medicare is a federal health program for people of age 65 or above. People with disabilities or with disease like End Stage Renal Disease (ESRD) with age less than 65 are also covered by Medicare.
New Mexico Medicare is similar to other states in US. Original Medicare has many gaps which it does not cover. Original Medicare covers most of the services but not all. Medicare supplement insurance plans or Medicaid or Medicare health insurance plans are available to provide coverage to the services which Original Medicare does not cover.
Eligibility for Medicare
1)?? Citizens of age 65 and above
2)?? Some young below 65 years of age suffering from certain disabilities
3)?? People of any age who are suffering from End Stage Renal Disease(permanent kidney failure)
Parts of Medicare
Original Medicare consists of Part A and Part B.
|Medicare Part A
|Medicare Part B
|Medicare Part C
|Medicare Part D
Medicare does not cover the following
- Long term care
- Routine Dental care
- Cosmetic surgery
- Hearing aids
Features of New Mexico Medicare
- Everyone who is enrolled in Original Medicare will get a red-white and blue Original Medicare card. This card is to be shown while receiving Medicare services.
- Original Medicare card is to be kept safely to prove your Medicare eligibility.
- You should understand the Medicare coverage plans carefully and compare the price, premiums and your needs before you choose a Plan. Your choice of Plan can affect the quality of care you receive.
- Medicare Part A is free mostly to all people without premium.
- You can avail the enrollment for Part B anytime in seven month period. This seven month period starts three months before you are 65 and ends three months after the month you complete 65 years of age.
- You pay for Copayments, coinsurance and deductibles which may apply on each of the above services.
- If you are covered by Medicare Advantage Plan like a HMO or PPO or supplement insurance (Medigap policy), the cost may differ.