Coverage for healthcare treatment denied? Here’s what you can do.
Navigating the insurance world can be tricky, especially when you’re faced with a denial of coverage for your medical treatment. While a denied claim can be frustrating, it’s essential to review the denial carefully as it usually explains the steps to take to make an appeal.
Let’s first understand why a health insurance company may not approve a request or deny payment. Here are some common reasons:
- Treatment is not medically necessary
- Treatment is not covered
- Provider is out-of-network
- Missing or incorrect information
If your healthcare treatment is denied by your insurance carrier, you have two main options:
Internal Appeal Nearly all insurance companies have an appeal process that allows you to challenge their decision. This is known as an internal appeal. To start this process, you will need to review the denial letter and follow the instructions on how to appeal. You will be required to provide additional information and documentation to support your claim before the insurance company will make a decision.
External Review If your internal appeal is denied, you have the option to request an external review. This is done by a third-party organization that is not affiliated with your insurance company. If the organization takes on your appeal, the process shifts the final say away from the insurance company to the independent organization. External reviews are available in most states.
If you’re not sure where to start or need more help, here are some resources to consider:
- Contact your insurance agent as they may be able to help you understand your policy and guide you through the appeals process.
- Visit or contact Healthcare.gov for assistance with appeals if you have a policy through the Health Insurance Marketplace.
- Connect with the Patient Advocate Foundation, a non-profit organization providing support to patients who are facing issues with their insurance coverage.
Before beginning any appeals process, it’s essential to review your denial carefully, understand the reasons for the denial, and explore your options for appealing. While the process can be time-consuming and stressful, it’s worth fighting for your health and your rights as an insured individual.
- Aging and Our Body’s Ability to Heal Itself
- Keeping Health Insurance After a Layoff
- Waking Up to the Impact of Insomnia
- How Life Insurance Benefits Women
- What experts say about raising the retirement age
- Coverage for healthcare treatment denied? Here’s what you can do.
- Sharing the Road with Cyclists
- Buying Life Insurance for an Elderly Parent?
- Medicaid Unwinding: Your Questions Answered
- Living Your Best Life After 60
- Buying Health Insurance: A Millennial’s Guide
- Self-Love Ideas for Valentine’s Day
- Life Without Clutter
- Set Yourself Up for Success with Your Fitness Routine
- Winter Hydration – Do I Need It?
- I’m 60+; Do I Need Life Insurance?
- Why Do I Keep Breaking My New Year’s Resolutions?
- Closing Out the Year with a Smile!
- How to Enjoy a Long Layover
- 6 Cold Weather Safety Tips
- 10 Tips for Managing Cholesterol Levels
- How Much Life Insurance Do You Need Right Now?
- 3 Top Tips for Better Posture
- Building Bone Density for Seniors
- Living Outside Your Comfort Zone in Retirement
- 3 Top Habits that Lead to a Happy Life After Retirement
- Should You Insure Your Gifts?
- Everything You Need to Know When Retiring Under 65
- 7 Benefits of Slow Travel
- Utilizing Medicare Preventative Services
- The Harsh Reality of Credit Card Fees
- Keeping Your Health Insurance Affordable
- 7 Tips to Weather Challenging Periods in Your Life
- What is a Variable Annuity? 4 Key Details You Should Know
- 4 of the Best Ways to Stay Healthy this Summer
- How to Prevent Sun Damage to Your Eyes
- 3 Tips for Safer Grilling
- When the Sun is NOT Your Friend (What You Need to Know about Sun Exposure)
- Tips to Avoid Stress Eating
- Common Exercise Pains – How to Work Past Them and When to Call for Help
- Signs Your Identity Has Been Stolen (and what to do about it)
- How Does Inflation Affect Life Insurance?
- Know the Benefits of Walking
- Do Brain Food Supplements Really Work?
- Ways You Can Spend Less on Gas
- What Are Alternatives if LTC isn’t Right for You?
- 4 Tips for a Less Stressful Summer
- Veteran and Medicare Benefits Work Together
- What are the Safest States From Natural Disasters?
- How to Choose an In-Home Care Provider for Your Loved One in 5 Steps
- 7 Myths About Your Back Pain
- 5 Foods that Will Help Keep Your Mind Healthy
- Don’t Throw Away Those Used Coffee Grounds
- Why Gardening is Good for Your Health
- Best Nutrition Apps
- Reducing Stress Through Music
- How to Live Without Regrets
- Power Foods that Lift the Spirit
- Benefits of Grateful Living
- Remote Activities You Can Do with Your Grandkids
- Post Pandemic Travel Tips
- Exercises for a Sedentary Lifestyle
- Life Insurance for Your Newlywed Child
- Preventing Heart Health Issues
- Does a Stay-at-Home Spouse Need Life Insurance?
- Whole or Term Life Insurance
- Why You Should be Grateful for the Year 2020
- How to Save on Electricity for Free
- Carbon Monoxide Concerns in the Home