Does a Stay-at-Home Spouse Need Life Insurance?
A stay-at-home spouse is perhaps one of the most under-appreciated persons in our society. However, purchasing life insurance for those who stay at home is often overlooked when families sit down and work through their financial plan.
Life insurance is usually thought of a product designed to replace income. Because stay-at-home spouses do not generate income, families mistakenly believe they do not require life insurance.
But nothing could be further from the truth!
The reality is life insurance actually replaces the purchasing power of someone’s income. Purchasing power that can pay for ongoing bills, debt payments, and other financial obligations. For the stay-at-home spouse, life insurance can provide the funds necessary to replace the services they provide.
Consider the cost of replacing all the services a stay-at-home spouse provides:
- Pet care – $15/hr
- Private tutor – $40/hr
- Family nurse – $75/hr
- Personal chef – $60/hr
- Taxi service – $.50/mile
- Family therapist – $65/hr
- Hourly childcare – $15/hr
- Personal shopper – $20/hr
- Finance consultant – $75/hr
- Laundry services – $10/load
- General housekeeping – $25/hr
- Amateur plumber/electrician – $55/hr
- Hazmat waste (diapers/litter) removal – $45/hr
A little arithmetic quickly reveals how valuable stay-at-home spouses really are. This list is hardly compressive. It does not take into consideration the intangible contributions stay-at-home spouses make such as providing emotional support or keeping the family’s social calendar full.
Once it becomes clear, life insurance for a stay-at-home spouse should become a part of your family’s financial plan, the next step is determining how much coverage to purchase. However, calculating a suitable limit is not an exact science with so many variables to take into consideration.
If you are looking to learn more about your life insurance options and how to choose the right limit to protect your family, contact my office to schedule an appointment today.
- Aging and Our Body’s Ability to Heal Itself
- Keeping Health Insurance After a Layoff
- Waking Up to the Impact of Insomnia
- How Life Insurance Benefits Women
- What experts say about raising the retirement age
- Coverage for healthcare treatment denied? Here’s what you can do.
- Sharing the Road with Cyclists
- Buying Life Insurance for an Elderly Parent?
- Medicaid Unwinding: Your Questions Answered
- Living Your Best Life After 60
- Buying Health Insurance: A Millennial’s Guide
- Self-Love Ideas for Valentine’s Day
- Life Without Clutter
- Set Yourself Up for Success with Your Fitness Routine
- Winter Hydration – Do I Need It?
- I’m 60+; Do I Need Life Insurance?
- Why Do I Keep Breaking My New Year’s Resolutions?
- Closing Out the Year with a Smile!
- How to Enjoy a Long Layover
- 6 Cold Weather Safety Tips
- 10 Tips for Managing Cholesterol Levels
- How Much Life Insurance Do You Need Right Now?
- 3 Top Tips for Better Posture
- Building Bone Density for Seniors
- Living Outside Your Comfort Zone in Retirement
- 3 Top Habits that Lead to a Happy Life After Retirement
- Should You Insure Your Gifts?
- Everything You Need to Know When Retiring Under 65
- 7 Benefits of Slow Travel
- Utilizing Medicare Preventative Services
- The Harsh Reality of Credit Card Fees
- Keeping Your Health Insurance Affordable
- 7 Tips to Weather Challenging Periods in Your Life
- What is a Variable Annuity? 4 Key Details You Should Know
- 4 of the Best Ways to Stay Healthy this Summer
- How to Prevent Sun Damage to Your Eyes
- 3 Tips for Safer Grilling
- When the Sun is NOT Your Friend (What You Need to Know about Sun Exposure)
- Tips to Avoid Stress Eating
- Common Exercise Pains – How to Work Past Them and When to Call for Help
- Signs Your Identity Has Been Stolen (and what to do about it)
- How Does Inflation Affect Life Insurance?
- Know the Benefits of Walking
- Do Brain Food Supplements Really Work?
- Ways You Can Spend Less on Gas
- What Are Alternatives if LTC isn’t Right for You?
- 4 Tips for a Less Stressful Summer
- Veteran and Medicare Benefits Work Together
- What are the Safest States From Natural Disasters?
- How to Choose an In-Home Care Provider for Your Loved One in 5 Steps
- 7 Myths About Your Back Pain
- 5 Foods that Will Help Keep Your Mind Healthy
- Don’t Throw Away Those Used Coffee Grounds
- Why Gardening is Good for Your Health
- Best Nutrition Apps
- Reducing Stress Through Music
- How to Live Without Regrets
- Power Foods that Lift the Spirit
- Benefits of Grateful Living
- Remote Activities You Can Do with Your Grandkids
- Post Pandemic Travel Tips
- Exercises for a Sedentary Lifestyle
- Life Insurance for Your Newlywed Child
- Preventing Heart Health Issues
- Does a Stay-at-Home Spouse Need Life Insurance?
- Whole or Term Life Insurance
- Why You Should be Grateful for the Year 2020
- How to Save on Electricity for Free
- Carbon Monoxide Concerns in the Home