Reducing Stress Through Music
Music is one of life’s greatest joys, and it has amazing health benefits too! Whether you are playing an instrument or appreciating your favorite album, music can release stress levels and reduce the risk of its physical side-effects.
Here are several reasons why listening to music is good for your mind, body, and soul!
A Natural Way to Lift Your Spirits
Upbeat music creates more positive feelings, including more optimism and happiness.[i] When you are feeling down or overwhelmed with stress, some light, toe-tapping tunes can help you break through a dark cloud and feel better.
Relax and Fall Asleep Easier
Slower tempos help ease the body into a state of relaxation. Stress causes muscle tension, headaches and physical stress that can lead to insomnia. When you are awake, your brain waves travel at a frequency of 8 to 14 hertz. Calming meditation music with delta waves help you transition into a natural sleep, slow racing thoughts, and unwind.
Become More Mindful
Time can turn into one frustrating blur when you are feeling overwhelmed. Music is a good way to interrupt stressful circumstances and infuse the moment with some positivity.
Think about your daily commute or doing chores. No one really enjoys these things but adding music to the mix can increase your dopamine levels, lower the presence of stress hormones, and even help you enjoy the moment.
Reconnect with Your Body
The more your mind feels burdened, and weighed down, the worse you will feel physically. Producing music can help you relieve physical pain and tension and improve your mood. Try strumming a guitar, playing the piano, or even just shaking a tambourine!
Music mostly happens in the non-verbal parts of the brain that is, our bodies feel it as much as we hear it.
Adding music to your stress-relief toolkit can help you feel better in your daily life. Start playing your favorite records or explore new tracks. Who knows, you may even decide to take on an instrument and discover your new favorite hobby!
- Aging and Our Body’s Ability to Heal Itself
- Keeping Health Insurance After a Layoff
- Waking Up to the Impact of Insomnia
- How Life Insurance Benefits Women
- What experts say about raising the retirement age
- Coverage for healthcare treatment denied? Here’s what you can do.
- Sharing the Road with Cyclists
- Buying Life Insurance for an Elderly Parent?
- Medicaid Unwinding: Your Questions Answered
- Living Your Best Life After 60
- Buying Health Insurance: A Millennial’s Guide
- Self-Love Ideas for Valentine’s Day
- Life Without Clutter
- Set Yourself Up for Success with Your Fitness Routine
- Winter Hydration – Do I Need It?
- I’m 60+; Do I Need Life Insurance?
- Why Do I Keep Breaking My New Year’s Resolutions?
- Closing Out the Year with a Smile!
- How to Enjoy a Long Layover
- 6 Cold Weather Safety Tips
- 10 Tips for Managing Cholesterol Levels
- How Much Life Insurance Do You Need Right Now?
- 3 Top Tips for Better Posture
- Building Bone Density for Seniors
- Living Outside Your Comfort Zone in Retirement
- 3 Top Habits that Lead to a Happy Life After Retirement
- Should You Insure Your Gifts?
- Everything You Need to Know When Retiring Under 65
- 7 Benefits of Slow Travel
- Utilizing Medicare Preventative Services
- The Harsh Reality of Credit Card Fees
- Keeping Your Health Insurance Affordable
- 7 Tips to Weather Challenging Periods in Your Life
- What is a Variable Annuity? 4 Key Details You Should Know
- 4 of the Best Ways to Stay Healthy this Summer
- How to Prevent Sun Damage to Your Eyes
- 3 Tips for Safer Grilling
- When the Sun is NOT Your Friend (What You Need to Know about Sun Exposure)
- Tips to Avoid Stress Eating
- Common Exercise Pains – How to Work Past Them and When to Call for Help
- Signs Your Identity Has Been Stolen (and what to do about it)
- How Does Inflation Affect Life Insurance?
- Know the Benefits of Walking
- Do Brain Food Supplements Really Work?
- Ways You Can Spend Less on Gas
- What Are Alternatives if LTC isn’t Right for You?
- 4 Tips for a Less Stressful Summer
- Veteran and Medicare Benefits Work Together
- What are the Safest States From Natural Disasters?
- How to Choose an In-Home Care Provider for Your Loved One in 5 Steps
- 7 Myths About Your Back Pain
- 5 Foods that Will Help Keep Your Mind Healthy
- Don’t Throw Away Those Used Coffee Grounds
- Why Gardening is Good for Your Health
- Best Nutrition Apps
- Reducing Stress Through Music
- How to Live Without Regrets
- Power Foods that Lift the Spirit
- Benefits of Grateful Living
- Remote Activities You Can Do with Your Grandkids
- Post Pandemic Travel Tips
- Exercises for a Sedentary Lifestyle
- Life Insurance for Your Newlywed Child
- Preventing Heart Health Issues
- Does a Stay-at-Home Spouse Need Life Insurance?
- Whole or Term Life Insurance
- Why You Should be Grateful for the Year 2020
- How to Save on Electricity for Free
- Carbon Monoxide Concerns in the Home