Exercises for a Sedentary Lifestyle
As technology marches on, the need for us humans to be physically active diminishes more and more every day. Most individuals no longer received enough physical activity during their daily routines. Instead, we find ourselves sitting behind computer screens, televisions, and (someday) self-driving cars for much of the day.
The increased health risks associated with a sedentary lifestyle are reaching frighteningly high levels. In fact, the World Health Organization issued a warning that a sedentary lifestyle may become a top ten leading cause of death and disability in the world!
Fortunately, getting your body back in motion and moving again toward a healthy lifestyle is easy. Here are four easy exercises you can begin doing today to improve your physical health:
Planking – Years of sitting in place can reduce your core strength. Planking involves holding yourself self in a horizontal position using your toes and forearms as support. Your first attempt should only be a few seconds. As you gain strength over time, extend your time in the plank position.
Stretching – A body in motion helps to build strength and improve endurance. However, inserting a stretching routine can keep muscles loose and relaxed. Begin with light neck rolls and move onto arm and hip circles. For good measure, toe-touches and high-reach stretches can complete a stretching routine and make you feel refreshed.
Swimming – Spending time in the water is a low-impact way to get your body moving. Water helps suspend the body and takes the weight off your joints including the hips and knees. Easy laps across the pool and even treading water for short periods of time help get the blood flow moving.
Walking – The simple movement of walking helps improve blood circulation and keeps joints lubricated. If you sit a desk most of the day, try to take a break every hour for a 5-minute stroll around the office. The goal is to get at least 30 minutes of strong walking in every day.
While scheduling time to exercise has its benefits, do not forget to look for ways to inject more exercise to your daily lifestyle. Simple changes, such as parking further away from the grocery store or taking the stairs instead of the elevator are easy ways to get your body in motion. Best of all, you can begin right now!
- Aging and Our Body’s Ability to Heal Itself
- Keeping Health Insurance After a Layoff
- Waking Up to the Impact of Insomnia
- How Life Insurance Benefits Women
- What experts say about raising the retirement age
- Coverage for healthcare treatment denied? Here’s what you can do.
- Sharing the Road with Cyclists
- Buying Life Insurance for an Elderly Parent?
- Medicaid Unwinding: Your Questions Answered
- Living Your Best Life After 60
- Buying Health Insurance: A Millennial’s Guide
- Self-Love Ideas for Valentine’s Day
- Life Without Clutter
- Set Yourself Up for Success with Your Fitness Routine
- Winter Hydration – Do I Need It?
- I’m 60+; Do I Need Life Insurance?
- Why Do I Keep Breaking My New Year’s Resolutions?
- Closing Out the Year with a Smile!
- How to Enjoy a Long Layover
- 6 Cold Weather Safety Tips
- 10 Tips for Managing Cholesterol Levels
- How Much Life Insurance Do You Need Right Now?
- 3 Top Tips for Better Posture
- Building Bone Density for Seniors
- Living Outside Your Comfort Zone in Retirement
- 3 Top Habits that Lead to a Happy Life After Retirement
- Should You Insure Your Gifts?
- Everything You Need to Know When Retiring Under 65
- 7 Benefits of Slow Travel
- Utilizing Medicare Preventative Services
- The Harsh Reality of Credit Card Fees
- Keeping Your Health Insurance Affordable
- 7 Tips to Weather Challenging Periods in Your Life
- What is a Variable Annuity? 4 Key Details You Should Know
- 4 of the Best Ways to Stay Healthy this Summer
- How to Prevent Sun Damage to Your Eyes
- 3 Tips for Safer Grilling
- When the Sun is NOT Your Friend (What You Need to Know about Sun Exposure)
- Tips to Avoid Stress Eating
- Common Exercise Pains – How to Work Past Them and When to Call for Help
- Signs Your Identity Has Been Stolen (and what to do about it)
- How Does Inflation Affect Life Insurance?
- Know the Benefits of Walking
- Do Brain Food Supplements Really Work?
- Ways You Can Spend Less on Gas
- What Are Alternatives if LTC isn’t Right for You?
- 4 Tips for a Less Stressful Summer
- Veteran and Medicare Benefits Work Together
- What are the Safest States From Natural Disasters?
- How to Choose an In-Home Care Provider for Your Loved One in 5 Steps
- 7 Myths About Your Back Pain
- 5 Foods that Will Help Keep Your Mind Healthy
- Don’t Throw Away Those Used Coffee Grounds
- Why Gardening is Good for Your Health
- Best Nutrition Apps
- Reducing Stress Through Music
- How to Live Without Regrets
- Power Foods that Lift the Spirit
- Benefits of Grateful Living
- Remote Activities You Can Do with Your Grandkids
- Post Pandemic Travel Tips
- Exercises for a Sedentary Lifestyle
- Life Insurance for Your Newlywed Child
- Preventing Heart Health Issues
- Does a Stay-at-Home Spouse Need Life Insurance?
- Whole or Term Life Insurance
- Why You Should be Grateful for the Year 2020
- How to Save on Electricity for Free
- Carbon Monoxide Concerns in the Home